There are constantly new and exciting ways to lose weight in our society. The only way to successfully lose weight is to burn more calories than you take in. There is no “magic” food or combination of foods that will help make you lose weight quickly AND SAFELY.
Here are some healthy tips to help you weigh less for life:
- Eat 5 to 6 times per day and always eat breakfast. This will allow you to have a constant supply of energy all day and keep your metabolism going at its highest rate.
- Eat a lean or low-fat protein source with each meal/snack. Some examples include: peanut butter, nuts or seeds, low-fat yogurt or cottage cheese, skim milk or low-fat cheese
- Schedule time to exercise. Try to incorporate both cardio and resistance training exercises.
- Schedule time to shop, plan ahead and prepare high quality healthy foods for yourself.
- Why diets don’t work:
- Don’t learn to include your favorite foods in every day life.
- Severely restricting your calories leads to muscle loss, not fat.
- Lowers metabolism, which makes it harder to lose weight.
- Doesn’t fix emotional issues.
- Go on a diet, only to go off it later. This doesn’t teach you how to eat for life.
- Restrictive diets leave you feeling sluggish and irritable.
- Become disconnected with body and don’t learn hunger and fullness cues.
- Regain lost weight and often more.
- So remember this is not a diet, but a lifestyle change. It can take anywhere from 5 to 15 weeks to make a habit stick and become part of your routine. So give yourself time and make the effort to make this work for you.
- Lose weight slowly and gradually. Healthy weight loss is about 1 to 2 pounds per week. This ensures that your body is getting proper nutrition, you are not losing any muscle mass, and that you will KEEP THE WEIGHT OFF!
True enjoyment comes from activity of the mind and exercise of the body; the two are united.